Dear friends and family,
My sister Hannah asked me while I was in Spain what Spanish food is like. I hadn't thought about it much. I knew it was nothing like tacos or burritos or hot sauce like in Mexico. However, what is Spanish food? She suggested I do something like this.
I took pictures of the foods I ate in Spain for about a month. As I was living with my host mother, she provided breakfast and dinner for everyday. Breakfast was always the same. Golden Grahams cereal and PB&J on toast with OJ. Every morning. Dinner was always served at home. And lunch I usually had to find on my own unless Senora Vigis (my host mother) made me a sandwich.
Spanish food is very much influenced by its proximity to the Mediterranean. It has A LOT of olive oil. And always served with bread. It is served a lot with potatoes too. Cured ham or "Jamon Serrano" is another thing you'll see hanging up in all the meat shops. The locals will always have wine or beer with their meals. Lastly, "tapas" are like appetizers that are served at bars mostly that come along with a drink. Spain has more bars than anywhere in the world, so tapas and beer are very fundamental in Spain.
 |
| PAELLA. The most typical Spanish dish, in my opinion. Rice, peas and peppers, seafoods like mussels (sp?) and shrimp. |
 |
| This was cous cous. |
 |
| Senora was required to make us an appetizer, entree, and dessert. This was pretty good. |
 |
| Stuffed bell pepper with rice. |
 |
| Da bread. |
 |
| Chicken. Salad with tuna. |
 |
| Macaroni with tomato and oil sauce. |
 |
| Meatballs and fries. |
 |
| Yummy beans soup. |
 |
| Chicken and fries again. |
 |
| Onions and potatoes. |
 |
| Rice something and fish. |
 |
| Melon for dessert one night. |
 |
| Cauliflower and potatoes. |
 |
| Grilled chicken once while I was sick. |
 |
| Tortilla Espanola. It's like an omelette with potatoes. |
 |
| Mandarian oranges. Probably had at least one a day. |
 |
| Playing with my food. |
 |
| EVERY MORNING. I don't think we ever got past the first box of corn flakes. Golden Grahams we went through at least a box a week. |
 |
| PB&J on toast. I may or may not have been making a design in the peanut butter too... |
 |
| NOM |
 |
| View from my room. Senora brought me lunch once while I was sick. |
 |
| Turkey and cheese sandwich/"bocadillo." Orange. And flan with whipped cream. |
 |
| Great view. |
 |
| Interesting sandwiches. One with chicken. One with just Parmesan cheese. One with tuna. |
 |
| Better view. |
 |
| Sorta like bagel bites. |
 |
| Broccoli and potatoes. |
 |
| Fries and Pork chop. Mmmmmm. |
 |
| Sorta like macaroni. |
 |
| Potato-like soup. |
 |
| Stuffed bell peppers again. |
 |
| Cross-cut |
 |
| Alright, so this is what dessert for was six out of seven nights of the week. Flan. I would always make a design with the whipped cream too. |
 |
| Green beans and potatoes. |
 |
| This was one of the best soups. Had some little ham pieces in it. |
 |
| Ball-like noodles. My roommates' favorite. |
 |
| Chicken and veggies soup. |
 |
| More fries. |
 |
| This was nice sized tapa in Granada. Basically a bagel with cured ham and mayo. And then chips and olives on the side. |
 |
| Cheesy potatoes. |
 |
| This was so similiar to shrimp bisque. |
 |
| Along with a "cana" of beer. |
 |
| Chocolate ice cream just to remember Becca |
 |
| This was the most delicious meal I had served at home. |
 |
| It was 5 different types of meat, and steamed vegetables. MMMMM. |
 |
| Really salty noodle soup. |
 |
| This was a recipe, Senora told us, from HER grandmother. |
 |
| She carved out the center of the potatoes and stuffed them with pork. |
 |
| Cauliflower and potatoes again. |
 |
| Fatty tough beef. |
 |
| For thanksgiving, I went to a place called "The American Store" and made some Mac N' Cheese. |
 |
| Thanksgiving (TG) Turkey |
 |
| TG Green bean casserole |
 |
| TG gravy and cranberry dressing |
 |
| TG Sweet potatoes |
 |
| TG stuffing. |
 |
| TG corn. |
 |
| TG Apple pie. Look at that turkey on top! |
 |
| This was what Young Life looked like every Thursday. It was like every week was TG. |
 |
| Croquets. Very spanish. |
 |
| From a place called "Cien Mondatitos" or "100 Little Sandwiches" |
 |
| along with some sangria to drink |
I hope you enjoyed the tour of Spanish food. For a much clearer view, visit
LaTienda.com where you can actually order Spanish food to your door in the US.
Love you all,
Andrew
P.S.- It is GOOD to be back in Lafayette-- Deano's, Judice Inn, Zea's, Chick fil a, Chris' Poboys-- it's been a good week for food.
Great post Andrew! Which meal of Senora's was your favorite? :)
ReplyDeleteThe one with the five meats. The one I called "the most delicious meal" we had. It's below the ice cream in the post.
ReplyDelete