Monday, September 6

First Blog Entry

Dear Family and Friends,


It was such a fun summer. I had a great time with every one of you. 
I'm gonna tell you about one aspect of my summer, and then next week I'll tell yall about what's been going on the last few weeks here at BU.


Dustin and Becca and I set out to do P90X every day of summer. The 90 in P90X is supposed to be 90 days... how long the program is. Just about as long as summer is. Becca saw an infomercial, I knew a friend that was doing it already, and Dustin just wanted to work out (according to one of his new year's resolutions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBAy5Jhq0uM) So I bought the 13 disks on eBay for a cool 75 bucks. We did a pre-test to see how fit we were, and even took some pictures posing and flexing that I think no one will ever dare to let anyone else see, and the second day of summer, we started. It was TOUGH. We learned as we went. If you ever do P90X, you need two things, 1) You have to like Tony Horton. The normal person thinks he's pretty obnoxious, but you have to put him on a pedestal and think that he's the funniest and catchiest work out instructor you've ever had. Love his catch phrases: "Do your best and forget the rest," "Ab Ripper X: I hate it, but I love it," and  many many more. 2) Do it with people; otherwise, you'll cheat, you'll skip days, and it's so much better than giving up (cause you still will) alone. So we had a lot of fun. Our first month, we did it almost every day...including every night while we worked at Work Week at a YL camp in Georgia called SharpTop Cove. A few weeks later, I went to Summer Staff at a YL camp in Colorado called Crooked Creek Ranch leading the mountain bike rides. I was sore EVERY day. While I was gone this month, Dustin and Becca kept up with P90X at home, most days. Well, Dustin more than Bec, but they did it. Once I got back, we did it a few more times...we pretty much got lazy. We did it probably once every 3 days that last month.  So all in all, I basically did P40X haha. Dustin did more like P60 or 70X, and Becca was somewhere in between. It was a lot of fun and good to stay in shape for the most part.


I'd love to see some feedback on this first blog so I know who's reading. I won't email yall anymore about it, so make sure to bookmark this page and check it anytime you want. I'll add something every week and brighten up the page.


Love yall,
Andrew


P.S.- You think we saw results? Yeah we did. We took a post-test. We each improved in every aspect of strength and flexibility. How much? Here's the category how much improvement: (Andrew=A, Becca=B, Dustin=D)
Pull ups: A-4. 
Vertical leap: A-2, B-1, D-5!
Wall Squat: A+1:15, B+10s, D+3:19.
Inches past toes: A-2, B-.5, D-2.
Push ups: A-3, B-4, D-7.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Drew. I'm so glad you've finally started this! Here's the thing you need to know about blogs though: people always love to read or skim over blogs but rarely will people comment on them. I'm telling you this because it may seem like no one's reading or appreciating what you've written..but they really do. Whether they check it once a month or once a year, everyone really does enjoy having a place where they can come check up on you. Also, I know you like to journal a lot and this is just another form of that which you can share or give your opinions in a way that doesn't offend or intrude on people (not your fault they came to your blog!) ...anyway, thanks again. Love you. -R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice read Andrew! This will be great. Can you or R help me start a blog? We certainly enjoyed seeing you and your friends over the summer. We look forward to next summer and a great year there. I especially loved having my sons in a prison together spreading the word. Love, Poppa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Love your summer p90x story. I agree with Randall. LOVE YOU! -Deda

    ReplyDelete

feel free to give me some feedback